Everyone does have different body systems. An individual’s metabolism differs from another. During special occasions, it is expected that many foods and drinks are prepared in the event. If you have a slow metabolism and you overeat, you will be more likely to develop excess fats.
Obesity is one of the significant health conditions in the world. It usually results from an unhealthy diet and lifestyle. It is the formation of excess fat or weight, which might affect the general health of the person. An individual is said to have obesity if he has a high body mass index or BMI.
Bariatric surgery can help patients to resolve their obesity-related conditions. This includes treatment for Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, and other health conditions. Those individuals who got their bariatric surgery improved themselves by having less medication to cure their obesity-related diseases. This procedure is an excellent opportunity for your health.
What is bariatric surgery?
One medical procedure that can help you lose weight is bariatric surgery. Bariatric surgery works on assisting the patient with extreme obesity lose weight. It is a surgery performed on the stomach and intestines. This is an option for those patients who have a body mass index of higher than 40. It can also be done for those who have Type 2 Diabetes or heart disease, provided that they have a BMI between 35 and 40.
Bariatric surgery is done to lose excess weight and also to prevent the development of potentially life-threatening health conditions like heart disease and stroke, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and Type 2 Diabetes. It is not the initial cure for obesity but rather the last choice to be done if natural remedies didn’t work.
There are three types of bariatric surgery, along with their effects on the body. Make sure that you consult a skilled surgeon before you undergo bariatric surgery.
Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
- It is a bariatric surgery, which is a common strategy of gastric bypass. It deals with reducing the amount of food that you can consume in just one sitting. Therefore, there will be a decrease in the absorption of nutrients.
- Your surgeon will cut across your stomach and seal it from the rest of your stomach. There will be a new stomach with a walnut-size, which can only store an ounce of food. In comparison, the natural stomach can store 3 pints of food.
- After that, your surgeon will cut the small intestine and connect it to the pouch. The food will then go to the small pouch, and the small intestine will absorb it. Food bypasses most of the part of your stomach and the rest of your small intestines. Instead, they went straight to the middle part of your small intestine. It creates a feeling of fullness well; in fact, you are just limiting your food intake.
- This procedure deals with the removal of 80% of your stomach. It will then create a long and tube-like pouch, which is a smaller stomach that will store less food. It then produces less appetite-regulating hormone ghrelin, which makes you feel full and less your desire to eat.
- One major advantage of sleeve gastrectomy is that it involves significant weight loss and no alteration of intestines. It also requires a shorter period to stay in the hospital. It is easier and faster than any other procedure.
Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch
- It is a two-part procedure. The first step includes the process the same with sleeve gastrectomy. The second one is connecting the end part of the intestine to the duodenum near your stomach, which bypasses the rest of your intestine.
- It is considered an effective procedure, but there is a higher risk of malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies since your body is only limited to absorb food and nutrients. Whatever type of bariatric surgery you choose depends on what your body needs. Just make sure that you are aware of the risks and complications that you might encounter along the process.
What are the possible harmful effects of bariatric surgery?
Just like any other medical procedure, there are also disadvantages to bariatric surgery. If you are going to have bariatric surgery, make sure that you are aware of its consequences and knowledgeable on how to prepare for it. There are different impacts based on what type of bariatric surgery you have.
- For sleeve gastrectomy, if you overeat, you might experience nausea and vomiting. It will then result in pain and stretching of your stomach on the parts where you had the surgery. Those patients who have acid reflux history before the procedure might have increased symptoms after the process.
- On the other hand, gastric bypass could have long term vitamin and nutrient supplements. It may also lead to dumping syndrome, which happens when the food in your stomach moves too fast within your small intestine.
- Lastly, biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch involves long term vitamin and nutrient supplements. The patients encounter frequent, foul-smelling diarrhea. It is the type of bariatric surgery that needs strict follow-up care with your surgeon. It is because of the chance of having protein-calorie malnutrition. This type of surgery is selected only for those patients having a BMI higher than 50.
Is bariatric surgery safe?
If you are not satisfied with your current weight and physique right now, it can affect you in so many ways. There are various ways on how to make your body fit and slimmer than before. You can also benefit from surgical procedures such as bariatric surgery.
Bariatric surgery turns out to be one of the safest operations to have. It is known to be secure compared to any other optional surgery. Patients must also be committed to having a sustained weight loss to improve their health status. Having a healthier weight can aid in eliminating sleep apnea, aid in Type 2 diabetes, and enhance high blood pressure, which results in a healthier life.
This procedure is a life-changing experience. No matter which type of bariatric surgery you choose, it will lead you to a significant change in your lifestyle. As you are deciding to have your bariatric surgery, you might be wondering if this is an excellent choice to do.
To know if your bariatric surgery is worth it, you should do the hard work. This surgery is not an alternative to fitness exercise and food diet. Moreover, it is an additional treatment to make your weight loss plan successfully. You should also develop new social habits since your body is not the same anymore. You might start limiting or changing your activities as well as the foods that you are eating.
Always weigh things on both sides, the pros and cons. Make sure that you deeply understand the procedure and consequences involved. To help you with it, you can ask your surgeon about the essential key points, such as risks, complications, cost, and remedies that you will possibly have.
Where to have the best bariatric surgery for you?
Turkey is one of the most visited medical tourist spots. Its healthcare services continue to grow yearly in the form of its internationally-accredited healthcare institutions—patients from across the globe look for medical assistance in Turkey. The low-cost procedures that this country offers remain the significant factors on why patients keep choosing Turkey.
It also has a short waiting period that adds to its inviting factor. Most of the patients can have their surgery in less than two weeks from the date of booking. It is a simple logic that if they have a short waiting time, they can be back again at their residence sooner. It is also very suitable for elderly patients because they can travel anytime they want.
Reyap Hospital in Turkey is a reliable healthcare institution that provides qualified healthcare services. They continue to have comprehensive education and training activities for their medical staff. This is to improve their knowledge and skills to provide quality medical services.
They also have advanced hotel services for their local and foreign patients to make them feel comfortable and safe within their stay in the hospital. Reyap Hospital in Turkey also has technological equipment that is equipped in performing various surgical procedures. Their hospitality and affordability make them popular among patients.
Being fit is one of the biggest dreams of everyone. Not just being slim, but a healthy body will help them create a better future. The moment you realize that there is a need to change in your body, and then do it. You must pay attention to your health. This will be your best asset in life.
Bariatric surgery is not just for cosmetic purposes. There can also be medical aids. You should choose what works best for you so that there is no waste in time, money, and effort. Always choose the one that will make you satisfied with your decision.