Severe obesity is a critical medical condition capable of affecting the patient's day-to-day lifestyle. Different aspects, such as physical, social, and emotional aspects, change drastically, which leads to more complications. Aside from that, a lot of chronic diseases are also linked to obesity. In fact, according to WHO, obesity has reached epidemic proportions globally. Due to this, governments, international partners, civil society, non-governmental organizations, and the private sector are now alarmed as the number of people who are obese is increasing. Thus, finding out solutions to address this health issue is essential.
Solution for Obesity
Fortunately, bariatric surgeries have demonstrated to be safe and effective treatment options. This is not only for their weight-loss capacities but also for their improvement in metabolic and hormonal affections. Also, it plays a major role in hunger and satiety and other conditions that appear as a result of obesity.
It is indicated for those patients with a BMI >40 or a BMI of 35-40 with associated comorbid conditions, such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., in whom conservative weight-loss measures have failed. Other criteria exist, which have to be discussed beforehand with the health professional.
Bariatric Weight-Loss Surgeries
Choosing the appropriate type of bariatric surgery depends mostly on the goals of each patient and the expert opinion of the surgeon. Every decision must be based on the chances of maximizing the outcome of the surgery. With this in mind, available bariatric weight-loss surgeries include:
- Adjustable gastric banding. Also known as LAP-BAND®, it consists of the placement of a non-permanent silicone band or “belt” around the upper part of the stomach, separating it into a tiny upper portion and a larger lower one.
- Gastric bypass surgery. It consists of surgically reducing the stomach to a small portion; this way, the amount of food the patient is able to eat is reduced drastically.
- Gastric sleeve. Also known as sleeve gastrectomy, it involves the removal of a sleeve-like portion of the stomach, reducing it to a definitive small portion.
- Gastric balloon. It involves the minimally invasive placement of a deflated balloon inside the stomach, for then inflating it, reducing the available gastric space.
- Stomach stapling. Also known as vertical banded gastroplasty, it is a procedure similar to sleeve gastrectomy. It is a process that involves the reduction of the stomach through permanent stapling.
- Biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. It consists of removing the outer margin of the stomach, rearranging the intestines in such a way that the mixing area between food and digestive juices is shortened.
The listed items above are just some of the surgeries that you can choose from. But, as mentioned, it varies per condition. Wanting to be skinny or less fat is not a bad thing. However, considering factors is vital to avoid any possible complications that may be met in the future. Take note that there are some risks that you may experience after or while in the procedure. Due to this, talking to an expert should be done first.
The Most Common Surgeries
Among the mentioned bariatric weight-loss surgeries, Gastric Bypass and Gastric Sleeve are the most common. Both are effective, however, there’s a considerable difference between them. To explain why, here are their advantages and disadvantages:
To start, below are advantages and disadvantages of getting Gastric Bypass:
- This procedure limits the amount of food that can be consumed.
- Another advantage of Gastric Bypass is it gives significant long-term weight loss.
- It also leads to conditions that increase energy expenditure.
- >50% excess weight loss is the typical maintenance of this surgery.
- Gastric Bypass also gives favorable changes in gut hormones that reduce the appetite and enhance the satiety of the patient.
- Usually, people who have undergone this surgery stay longer at the hospital.
- It is also essential to remember that this procedure requires devotion to the recommendations on a diet, taking life-long vitamin or mineral supplementation, and compliance to follow ups.
- People who have undergone this can experience long-term vitamin/mineral deficiencies, particularly deficits in vitamin B12, iron, calcium, and folate.
- Also, this is technically a more complex operation, which could potentially result in higher complication rates.
Now, let’s move on the advantages and disadvantages of Gastric Sleeve:
- In this procedure, the smaller stomach still functions and usually works. So, the patient is still able to tolerate most foods, but in small portions.
- Also, the patient will be less likely to have ulcer due to less acid secretion.
- The intestines remain intact even after the operation, so there is a lesser chance of intestinal obstruction, anemia, osteoporosis, and protein and vitamin deficiency.
- Gastric Sleeve eliminates the upper portion of the stomach. It is a part where hormones are produced and stimulate hunger. Which means the appetite often lessens.
- There will be no adjustments or foreign bodies that will cause obstruction, slippage, or erosion.
- Unfortunately, this surgery is non-reversible since a part of the stomach will be removed.
- The body of the patient can still tolerate arb-rich and high-fat foods. This means it can slow weight loss.
- Without the intestinal bypass, weight loss can be more difficult or can be lessened.
- Also, insurance companies may not cover this operation since it is considered an investigational procedure.
- In this operation, stomach stapling is involved. Thus, there will be potential for leaks and other complications.
Given the facts above, you should be able to know which between the two is best for you. At the end of the day, the decision is still yours to make. But, before you decide, you should consider various factors to avoid risk and waste of money anymore. Perhaps the major thing to consider is looking for the best hospital to get the surgery done. You have to ensure that the place is reliable and provides high-quality services like Reyap Hospital.
Getting Surgery at Reyap Hospital In Istanbul
Here at Reyap Hospital, we have different departments that can provide you with high-quality services. And if you are looking for a place to get surgery, then ours is the one to welcome you. We have the following to give you:
Hospitality. If you are from another country, have no worries! Reyap Hospital in Istanbul accepts and treats patients from abroad with our advanced hotel services, complementary and supportive of our diagnosis and treatment services, thanks to our privileged accommodation provided to our patients and their companions.
Comfort. We have complete facilities, and we aim to provide satisfaction and hospitality for our patients and their relatives in the guest house, which will be constructed with the hotel concept in the hospital building and the neighboring area. This means we can assure you that you will be calmer while waiting for the results.
Highly-Skilled and Professional Team. Our team is aware that only highly-skilled personnel can only provide health services. So, each member of the hospital has undertaken the task of educating and training health personnel at every stage.
Additionally, the Reyap Health Group counts days for the medical faculty status. It will be able to maintain comprehensive education, training, and service activities aimed at the practice of health personnel working in the fields of protection, development, and improvement of human health in all branches of medical science and conducting scientific researches. We are not just a typical hospital; we are innovative and professionals. Above all, we genuinely care for each patient. This is the reason why customer satisfaction is our top priority.
I have researched best low-cost clinics where I can have the Gastric Sleeve surgery and chose Reyap Hospital after checking their online reviews. Everyone at the hospital was so friendly and welcoming, especially Dr. Mirhan Tosun and all of the nurses. I cannot thank everyone enough for all their help when I was here and everything that has been offered so far while I was there for three days.
41 Years Old (London)
Trusted Hospital in Istanbul
Reyap Hospital in Istanbul is a reliable healthcare institution and preferred by our patients coming from more than 123 countries worldwide, because of our healthcare personnel, renewed technological infrastructure, and qualified healthcare services. It started in 2011 and continues to be the best until now. This is why if you’re interested in getting any Bariatric Weight-Loss Surgeries, you can call us at +90 (850) 473 77 77/ +90 553 077 70 41. You can also locate us at Yesilkent District / 2011 Street / Building No:25 Esenyurt / Istanbul.
The hospital has the technical infrastructure, technological equipment, and functionality designed to meet the requirements of a university hospital's versatile education, teaching, research, and practice. This means that we have the latest technology to assist you while in the surgery. We at Reyap Hospital in Istanbul are able to fulfill a vast majority of your medical requirements regarding different specialties. Contact us, and we will show you why choosing Turkey for medical attention is the best thing you can do!
Schedule Your FREE Consultation Session with top surgeons NOW!
Don't struggle to lose weight on your own. Reyap Health Group will provide free consultation services for your weight loss surgery (procedures and information) if you register now: https://obesity.surgeries.doctor/. In addtion get a 10% discount at any weight loss procedure (surgical or non-surgical) if you schedule your appointment during 2020!
We know the weight loss struggle and the multiple failed attempts in trying to reduce weight that is why we are here with and for you in every step of your weight loss journey.